How do we get this poison out of the food supply?
A recent study that tested for the presence of pesticides, heavy metals, veterinary drugs, hormones, and nutrients in public school lunch food found alarming results: Out of the 43 items sampled, 41 (or 95%) contained detectable amounts of glyphosate. Glyphosate is a weed killer used widely throughout the world; however it is also known to be carcinogenic and toxic to human health.
The active ingredient in Roundup is glyphosate, which has been linked to a slew of fatal diseases including non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and other malignancies. It has also been shown to be endocrine disrupting, harmful to sperm and reproductive organs, as well as the brain, liver, and kidneys.
“We have a national crisis on our hands,” said Zen Honeycutt, the director of Moms Across America, the non-profit organization dedicated to the wellbeing of America’s children, which funded the study.
“Our government is allowing our children to be poisoned with a shocking number of toxins that contribute to various health, behavioral, and learning issues,” Honeycutt said in a press release.
Independent, third-party testing of the 43 school lunch items revealed that:
- Pizza is poison: The highest levels of glyphosate and the chemical glyphosate’s breaks down into, AMPA, were found in beef tacos and pizza. The average level of glyphosate in pizza was 154.51 ng/g.
- Wheat is contaminated: 100% of the wheat products tested were positive for glyphosate, averaging 42.09 ng/g.
- Public school lunch food contains a plethora of other problematic pesticides: In addition to glyphosate, 74 percent of the school lunch items contained at least one hazardous pesticide: Thiabendazole, an immune depressant, was discovered in 27.9 percent of the samples, Piperonal Butoxide, a developmental toxin that causes birth defects and neurodevelopmental disorders, was present in 41% of the samples, and Pyrimethanil (which causes thyroid tumors in animals), was found at 595 parts per billion on an apple.
Unfortunately, the bad news about school food didn’t end there.
Every single school lunch sample we analyzed contained heavy metals, some at up to 6,293 times the EPA’s maximum amount allowed in drinking water.
In addition, veterinary drugs and hormones were found in school lunch foods at stunningly high levels.
The study also analyzed the nutrient content of the lunch food. Unfortunately, the majority of the samples were abysmally low in nutrients.
“The nutrient density of the food is almost completely deficient,” Honeycutt said, adding that nutritionally deficient food leaves “children’s bodies starving for nutrients, unable to develop properly, and lacking nutrients that their brains need to learn and make sound decisions.”
“If our government cares about America remaining a superpower and a prosperous nation, it must immediately take action to supply organically grown, nutrient-dense food to our nation’s children,” Honeycutt said.
How Do We Get This Poison Out of the Food Supply?
1. Stop treating your lawn and garden with Roundup or any other herbicides. Ask your Home Owners Association, if you belong to one, your local public and private schools, and your city administrators to stop using glyphosate as well.
2. Buy only organic food, either certified organic from the grocery store or directly from farmers who don’t treat their crops with any harmful pesticides or herbicides.
3. Explain to your public-school kids why you don’t let them purchase school lunch food. At the same time, talk to their teachers and the principal about your concerns about glyphosate.
4. Share the results of this study with school administrators and the local schoolboard and ask them to stop feeding toxic, nutritionally devoid food to children.
5. Support Moms Across America and other eco-friendly non-profits that are dedicated to improving the nation’s health and getting toxins out of the environment. (Another of my favorites is Friends of Trees.)
6. Read Dr. Stephanie Seneff’s book, Toxic Legacy: How the Weedkiller Glyphosate is Destroying Our Health and the Environment, which is coming out in paperback this fall. Seneff’s book, which has been compared to Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, is a game changer (full disclosure: I helped her edit it). Buy a copy for every environmentalist, ecologist, public health official, educator, and journalist you know.
7. Stop vaccinating your kids: Testing also sponsored by Moms Across America in 2016 found glyphosate in several vaccines routinely given to children. Given the high rates of childhood cancer and cognitive decline, vaccines containing glyphosate cannot be considered safe. Tell your medical providers that your family has decided to delay vaccination until all childhood vaccines are tested and certified glyphosate-free.
3 thoughts on “Breaking News: 95% of School Lunches Test Positive for Glyphosate”
Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I’m inspired!
Very helpful information particularly the remaining phase :
) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this particular
info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
My pleasure! We the people hold the power. Stay strong. Stay vigilant.
I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye